*Course subject to change - based on 2015
Aspen Snowmass is proud to present the 2016 Audi Power of Four Trail celebrating the amazing trail running offered in the Roaring Fork Valley and continuing the great tradition of the Audi Power of Four Series. The events signature race is a challenging 50K Ultra that has been named the US Skyrunner Series North American Continental Championships and covers the four Aspen Snowmass mountains utilizing a mix of singletrack, doubletrack, and fire road. The event also offers a 22K race along the famed Government Trail
covering Buttermilk and Snowmass Mountains and a Vertical K race up Aspen Mountain that is also part of the US Skyrunner Series.
The Audi Power of Four Race Series is a premier endurance race series utilizing the unique and amazing terrain of each of the four Aspen Snowmass mountains. Each race is designed to test the limits and skills of both elite and recreational athletes.
- Stay on the designated trails; no shortcutting switchbacks. Those attempting to take short-cuts will be disqualified and publicly shamed.
- Headphones are permitted, but please be respectful when entering aid stations and crossing other trails. Be aware that the trails are open to the public and, in spots, cross other trails that may include cyclists, runners, hikers, etc. Please rock-out responsibly.
- There is a cut-off at noon at the Tiehack Aid Station.
- If you choose to drop out, please alert the nearest aid station personnel. We do not want to worry your emergency contact person!
- No dogs are allowed.
- No littering! We have trash cans and recycle bins at each aid station. Just because it's a race doesn't mean you get to forget your manners.
- If you must relieve yourself, please use a bathroom (available at the top of Aspen Mtn, Tiehack, Elk Camp Restaurant) or discretion...
- All runners must carry a water bottle.
Each racer will be allowed to deposit one bag at the start that will be shuttled to the Tiehack aid station or finish line. In an effort to reduce waste, we will not provide a bag; please bring your own. Make sure your name and bib number are clearly written on the outside of the bag.
The course will be marked with red/white striped tape and directional signage with the event logo.
Each Aid Station will have water, Red Bull, Clif Bars, Clif Shot Gels, Coke, candy and other snacks to keep you fueled. Aid stations will be placed at the following locations:
- Top of Aspen Mountain (5.23 Miles from start)
- Intersection of Midnight Mine and Castle Creek Road (10.32 Miles from start)
- Tiehack Parking Lot (15.55 Miles from start)
- Elk Camp Restaurant (23.05 Miles from start)
There will be other locations along the course with limited resources available (water).
Segment 1: Aspen Mountain
13.25 KM (8.23 Miles), 3,811 elevation gain/3,412 elevation loss
Start on the west side of gondola plaza (Residences at Little Nell side)
Climb Little Nell
Turn left at bottom of Bell Chair to Bingo Slot
Up Spar Gulch to base of Ajax Express Chair
Follow Deer Park Trail
Climb Silver Bell to summit at Sundeck
Descent Midnight Mine Road
to Castle Creek Road
Segment 2: Aspen Highlands
11.70 KM (7.27 Miles), 3,600 elevation gain/3,859 elevation loss
Run up the Congo
Follow Grand Traverse to summer road
Climb Summer Road to Patrol Headquarters
Descend Broadway to Wine Ridge
Descent to Base Area via T-Lazy 7 Road to Summer Road
Run across Maroon Creek Rd to Maroon Creek Trail
Turn left on bridge across Maroon Creek and climb to Tiehack lot
Segment 3: Buttermilk
12.87 KM (8 miles), 3,176 elevation gain, 1,847 elevation descent
From Tiehack Parking Lot follow trail up Eagle Hill
Continue on trail up Sterner Gulch
Follow trail up Ptarmigan to top of Tiehack
Pass Cliff House and continue up Toms Thumb towards top of W Buttermilk
At the top of W Buttermilk Lift go past warming hut out the gate to follow trail along the ridge
Turn right and descent trail through Sugar Bowls
Turn left on Government Trail
and follow to Snowmass ski area gate
Segment 4: Snowmass
12.46 KM (7.74 miles), 1,742 elevation gain, 2,636 elevation loss
From Government Trail
gate onto Snowmass turn left and follow Elk Camp road up a few hundred feet
Turn right onto Government Trail
and then turn left onto Vista Trail
Follow Vista Trail
to Elk Camp Restaurant turning left behind restaurant and following road to the right around the restaurant
From Elk Camp Restaurant follow Summit Trail
Turn right on Sierra Club Loop
Turn left in field and follow Expresso
(there are two locations this trail crosses roads and the trail follows the road uphill until you see signs for the trial)
Turn left on Cross Mountain Trail
after series of switchbacks
Follow Cross Mountain trail past Ullrhof Restaurant (bear right after large wood bridge)
Continue on road past restaurant through tunnel and bear left onto Village Bound
after you go through the tunnel
Follow Village Bound
past the base of Sams Know chair (do not turn left on Government Trail
Follow Village Bound
Trail until it merges with road and turn right at the wide merger of trail and road
Continue down the road passing a building on the left and straight onto trail running downhill parallel to the work road
Follow this trail down to where it ends on the road next to the Fanny Hill concert stage and run down the road to the right of the stage.
Run down the switchbacks on Fanny Hill to the finish in base village.