Great Divide Trail - Section G (North Boundary Trail to Kakwa Lake)
ElevationAscent: 17,514' 5,338 m
Descent: -19,672' -5,996 m
High: 7,467' 2,276 m
Low: 3,104' 946 m
GradeAvg Grade: 6% (3°)
Max Grade: 51% (27°)
Navigate on-trail with our free app
“Canadian Rockies at their best, wild and beautiful, along the Continental Divide.”— Joan Pendleton
Features Birding · Commonly Backpacked · Fall Colors · Lake · River/Creek · Views · Waterfall · Wildflowers · Wildlife
Summer weather can include snow :>)
Resources regularly updated with the latest conditions and other information are:
- GDTA website www.greatdividetrail.com
- Dustin Lynx book "Hiking Canada's Great Divide Trail"
- GDT App
- Ryan Silk's GDT Map Atlas
- Gem Trek maps
Section G runs from a trail junction in Jasper National Park where the Moose River Route meets the North Boundary Trail to the GDT's Kakwa trailhead at Bastille Creek along Walker Creek Forest Service Road just south of Kakwa Provincial Park.
Here, are expansive vistas of roadless mountains and broad valleys, some cut by rivers. One may have the place to themselves (except for animals), not seeing another person for the whole section. And you'll almost certainly see animals, even caribou if you're lucky. Section G has no trailheads that can be driven to (except for possibly, if one has 4-wheel drive, the Kakwa northern trailhead). Section G is remote!
Section G starts off on the remote, lightly used North Boundary Trail in the roadless, beautiful northwestern expanse of Jasper National Park. And then crosses into the even more remote mountain park- Wilmore Wilderness Park. Take a step back in time in this vast, roadless Section G backcountry.
Please see the resources listed above under Need to Know for up to date detailed descriptions and valuable hiker information.
- Great Divide Trail - Upper Jackpine Valley Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Perseverence High Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Sheep Creek Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Surprise Pass High Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Providence Pass High Alternate Route
Access Trailheads (motor vehicle accessible)
- none without 4-wheel drive
- GDT's Kakwa trailhead at Bastille Creek along Walker Creek Forest Service Road (4-wheel drive)
- Berg Lake Trail and Moose River Route: Berg Lake Trail to Smoky River Crossing to the start of Section G (17.2 miles)
- Holmes River Road (4-wheel drive) for 28 miles and Blueberry Creek Trail for 4.7 miles (33 total miles)
- Sheep Creek Trail to/from Grand Cache (47 miles)
- Walker Creek Forest Service Road to end of Section G (47 miles)
Run this trail?
We need help with the following missing trail information:
Flora & Fauna, Runner Notes
Is something wrong? Let us know. Have photos to share? Help fellow runners know what's here.