The GDT is a wilderness trail. Hiking it provides a wilderness experience that in places may include unmaintained trail, no trail at all (route finding required), animal sightings and encounters, isolation, unbridged creeks and rivers, and long distances between resupplies.
Summer weather can include snow :>)
Resources regularly updated with the latest conditions and other information are:
- GDTA website www.greatdividetrail.com
- Dustin Lynx book "Hiking Canada's Great Divide Trail"
- GDT App
- Ryan Silk's GDT Map Atlas
- Gem Trek maps
The GDT (Great Divide Trail)
is a long distance hike along the Continental Divide in Canada. This is Section G, the northernmost section of it.
Section G runs from a trail junction in Jasper National Park where the Moose River Route meets the North Boundary Trail to the GDT's Kakwa trailhead at Bastille Creek along Walker Creek Forest Service Road just south of Kakwa Provincial Park.
Here, are expansive vistas of roadless mountains and broad valleys, some cut by rivers. One may have the place to themselves (except for animals), not seeing another person for the whole section. And you'll almost certainly see animals, even caribou if you're lucky. Section G has no trailheads that can be driven to (except for possibly, if one has 4-wheel drive, the Kakwa northern trailhead). Section G is remote!
Section G starts off on the remote, lightly used North Boundary Trail in the roadless, beautiful northwestern expanse of Jasper National Park. And then crosses into the even more remote mountain park- Wilmore Wilderness Park. Take a step back in time in this vast, roadless Section G backcountry.
Please see the resources listed above under Need to Know
for up to date detailed descriptions and valuable hiker information.
- Great Divide Trail - Upper Jackpine Valley Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Perseverence High Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Meadowlands Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Talbot Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Sheep Creek Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Surprise Pass High Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Providence Pass High Alternate RouteAccess Trailheads (motor vehicle accessible)
- none without 4-wheel drive
- GDT's Kakwa trailhead at Bastille Creek along Walker Creek Forest Service Road
- Berg Lake Trail
and Moose River Route: Berg Lake Trail to Smoky River Crossing
to the start of Section G (17.2 miles)
- Holmes River Road (4-wheel drive) for 28 miles and Blueberry Creek Trail for 4.7 miles (33 total miles)
- Sheep Creek Trail to/from Grand Cache (47 miles)
- Walker Creek Forest Service Road to end of Section G (47 miles)