Great Divide Trail - Section F (Jasper to North Boundary Trail)
ElevationAscent: 7,827' 2,386 m
Descent: -6,011' -1,832 m
High: 6,911' 2,107 m
Low: 3,412' 1,040 m
GradeAvg Grade: 4% (2°)
Max Grade: 62% (32°)
Navigate on-trail with our free app
“Canadian Rockies at their best, wild and beautiful, along the Continental Divide.”— Joan Pendleton
Features Birding · Commonly Backpacked · Lake · River/Creek · Views · Waterfall · Wildflowers · Wildlife
Summer weather can include snow :>)
Resources regularly updated with the latest conditions and other information are:
- GDTA website www.greatdividetrail.com
- Dustin Lynx book "Hiking Canada's Great Divide Trail"
- GDT App
- Ryan Silk's GDT Map Atlas
- Gem Trek maps
Section F runs from the town of Jasper, Alberta in Jasper National Park, to a trail junction in Jasper National Park where the Moose River Route meets the North Boundary Trail.
The Moose Pass meadows, some of the most beautiful high mountain meadows on the planet, are in this Section. They are pristine, remote, surrounded by endless snowy mountains and especially beautiful with wildflowers (late July/early August). However, they are well guarded by lower, large, wet meadowy areas where the trail is easily lost, if there actually is a trail at all, AND one must splash through rivers - the wild and beautiful, turquoise Moose River, and the swift flowing, glacial Smoky River.
And don't forget to visit the postcard-perfect Mt. Robson, a short side trip from the end of Section F.
Please see the resources listed above under Need to Know for up to date detailed descriptions and valuable hiker information.
- Great Divide Trail - Marjorie Dorothy Lakes Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Elysium Pass Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Moose River West Alternate Route
- Moose River Route: Smoky River Crossing Alternate
Access Trailheads (motor vehicle accessible)
- Connaugh Drive in Jasper (start of Section F)
- Yellowhead Highway (Hwy 16) up to mile 13.5 of Section F. Section F follows the road here.
- Berg Lake Trail and Moose River Route: Berg Lake Trail to Smoky River Crossing to the end of Section F(17.2 miles)
- Moose River Route from the Yellowhead Hwy (Hwy 16) to the Great Divide Trail - Moose River West Alternate Route (14.4 miles)
Run this trail?
We need help with the following missing trail information:
Flora & Fauna, Runner Notes
Is something wrong? Let us know. Have photos to share? Help fellow runners know what's here.