From the parking lot on the western side of the Catfish Creek bridge, the Julian Dubuqe Trail climbs a staircase to the top of the bluffs, and leads to the parking lot on Monument Drive. From there, a short paved trail leads to the Julian Dubuqe Monument, a monument to the city founder (and operator of the Mines of Spain) erected in 1897. Plaques near the monument tell the story of the French trapper for whom the city and monument are named, as well as the Mesquakie people and their involvement with the mining of the area in the late 18th century. The monument itself is located on a steep cliff at the edge of a bluff overlooking the Mississippi and presents a spectacular view of the river and the surrounding area. On the other side of the Monument parking lot, the trail descends the bluff into Riprow Valley.