North Cascades National Park
395 mi 636 km of trail — 3 Featured Runs
Located just three hours northeast of Seattle, the alpine landscape of North Cascades National Park invites visitors to explore. Considered the "American Alps", this mountainous park holds countless serrated peaks ensconced by over 300 glaciers. It's these persistent bodies of ice that produce the eponymous cascades this park is best known for. If you listen closely, you'll hear the North Cascades calling... and you must go.
To learn more about North Cascades National Park, visit www.nps.gov.
Opening and closing dates and hours vary seasonally for visitor centers at North Cascades. Check the park's website for current operating hours.
- North Cascades Visitor Center: Hours vary by season. Closed September 28 to October 2 and November 1 to April 16.
- Park and Forest Information Center: Hours and closures vary by season.
- Wilderness Information Center: Hours vary by day of week and season. Closed October 12 to May 8.
- Golden West Visitor Center: Hours and closures vary by season.
- Chelan Ranger Station: Open 7:45 am to 4:30 pm, year round (closed federal holidays).
- Glacier Public Service Center: Open 9 am to 3 pm, weekends year round.
- Methow Valley Ranger District*: Open 7:45 am to 4:30 pm, weekdays year round (closed federal holidays). *Late June to September: may be open on weekends and holidays (call 509-996-4003 for details).
- Skagit Information Center: Hours vary by season. Closed September 28 to late May.
Fees & Passes:
- There is no fee to enter North Cascades National Park. Enjoy your visit!
- If you're starting your journey on USFS land, a Northwest Forest Pass is required. More information can be found here.
- Purchase an annual pass for all national parks sites, $80
To learn more about park fees, permits, and reservations, click here.
Camping & Lodging
- Goodell Creek Campground: Open year round.
- Newhalem Creek Campground: Open May 26 through the fall. Group sites available.
- Gorge Lake Campground: Open year round.
- Colonial Creek Campground: Open May 22 to Sept. 20. Group sites available.
- Hozomeen Campground: Open May 22 to Oct. 31.
- Diablo Lake: 7 sites
- Ross Lake: 60 sites
- Lake Chelan: 24 sites
To learn more about boat-in camping in North Cascades, click here.
A backcountry permit is required, and permits for specific areas are limited. To maximize your chances, visit high-use areas midweek or after Labor Day, and always have a backup itinerary planned. For information on obtaining a backcountry permit, click here.
In addition to the multitude of camping experiences North Cascades has to offer, there are also other more established overnight accommodations and lodging. To learn more about these opportunities, click here.
Food & Drink
While visiting the Newhalem area, be sure to stop by the Skagit General Store. Established in 1922 as an employee commissary to serve the needs of the workers and their families on the Skagit River Hydroelectric Project, the original building is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places and was opened to the public in the 1940s. Today, employees and visitors alike can purchase milk, soda, snacks and unique hand crafted gifts, plus camping and picnic supplies.
Maps & Guidebooks
Gems in North Cascades National Park - 3
Trail Run Project is built by runners like you. Add Your Gems
Featured Runs in North Cascades National Park - 3
Trail Run Project is built by runners like you. Add Your Runs
Cascade Pass to Sahale Arm
11.5 mi 18.5 km • Out and Back • 3,873 ft Ascent 1180.34 m Ascent
Singletrack Stehekin, WA( 28 )
34.7 mi 55.8 km • Point to Point • 11,003 ft Ascent 3353.7 m Ascent
Singletrack Diablo, WA( 2 )
Trails in North Cascades National Park - 76
Trail Run Project is built by runners like you. Add Your Trails
Cascade Pass Trail
|15.4 mi 24.7 km||Stehekin, WA||8|
Sourdough Mountain Trail
|9.2 mi 14.9 km||Stehekin, WA||9|
|2.3 mi 3.7 km||Stehekin, WA||4|
Copper Ridge Trail
|14.4 mi 23.2 km||Diablo, WA||3|
|0.7 mi 1.1 km||Diablo, WA||3|
Trail of the Cedars
|0.8 mi 1.3 km||Diablo, WA||3|
Desolation Peak Trail
Peaceful Valley, WA
|4.6 mi 7.5 km||Peaceful Valley, WA||1|
|1.6 mi 2.6 km||Stehekin, WA||2|
|1.1 mi 1.8 km||Diablo, WA||1|
Devils Ridge Trail
|19.4 mi 31.2 km||Stehekin, WA||1|
|2.4 mi 3.9 km||Stehekin, WA||1|
|4.8 mi 7.7 km||Stehekin, WA||1|
Thunder Creek Trail
|18.9 mi 30.4 km||Diablo, WA||
Dry - Some creeks overflowing over stepping stones, but it is not a big deal.
19 days ago
Fisher Creek Trail
|10.3 mi 16.6 km||Diablo, WA||3|
|9.6 mi 15.4 km||Hope, BC||2|
Hannegan Pass Trail
Peaceful Valley, WA
|11.8 mi 18.9 km||Peaceful Valley, WA||3|
Chelan Lake Shore
|17.2 mi 27.7 km||Stehekin, WA||
4 days ago
Thunder Knob Trail
|1.9 mi 3.0 km||Diablo, WA||8|
|4.6 mi 7.4 km||Diablo, WA||4|
East Bank Trail
|30.1 mi 48.4 km||Stehekin, WA||3|
Photos of North Cascades National Park - 148
Trail Run Project is built by runners like you. Add Your Photos