Great Divide Trail - Section E (Saskatchewan Crossing to Jasper)
ElevationAscent: 18,478' 5,632 m
Descent: -19,741' -6,017 m
High: 8,461' 2,579 m
Low: 3,409' 1,039 m
GradeAvg Grade: 6% (3°)
Max Grade: 64% (33°)
Popular runs nearby
9.6 mi 15.4 km • Out and Back • 1,081 ft Ascent 329.57 m Ascent
49.3 mi 79.3 km • Loop • 6,084 ft Ascent 1854.43 m Ascent
Mount Edith Cavell Tour
5.1 mi 8.2 km • Loop • 1,730 ft Ascent 527.4 m Ascent
Valley of the Five Lakes Trail
3.0 mi 4.9 km • Loop • 364 ft Ascent 110.92 m Ascent
Great Divide Trail (GDT)
673.7 mi 1,084.3 km • Point to Point • 103,320 ft Ascent 31492 m Ascent
Navigate on-trail with our free app
“Canadian Rockies at their best, wild and beautiful, along the Continental Divide.”— Joan Pendleton
Features Birding · Commonly Backpacked · Lake · River/Creek · Views · Waterfall · Wildflowers · Wildlife
Summer weather can include snow :>)
Resources regularly updated with the latest conditions and other information are:
- GDTA website www.greatdividetrail.com
- Dustin Lynx book "Hiking Canada's Great Divide Trail"
- GDT App
- Ryan Silk's GDT Map Atlas
- Gem Trek maps
Section E runs from Saskatchewan Crossing where the Saskatchewan River crosses Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93), to the town of Jasper, Alberta in Jasper National Park.
On top of the world here in Section E, one crosses several open and rocky high passes with glorious, expansive views of the surrounding snowy, rugged mountains. The highest point of the GDT is in this Section. Although a good bit of Section E is "off the beaten path", a good bit of it is also on well maintained, popular (but not overcrowded due to the reservation system :>) Jasper National Park trails with their wonderful, maintained trail camps complete with shared picnic tables, fire pits, bear hangs, and green thrones.
Please see the resources listed above under Need to Know for up to date detailed descriptions and valuable hiker information.
- Great Divide Trail - Six Passes Alternate Route
- Evelyn Creek/Skyline Trail
- Great Divide Trail - Wabasso Lake Alternate Route
- Great Divide Trail - Jasper Trail #7 Detour Alternate Route
Access Trailheads (motor vehicle accessible)
- Saskatchewan Crossing on Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) on the north side of the river (start of Section E)
- Owen Creek Trail trailhead on David Thompson Highway (Hwy 11) (very close to start of Section E)
- Maligne Lake Road end, at the Skyline Trail south trailhead
- Signal Mountain Fire Road/Maligne Lake Road junction, at the Skyline Trail north trailhead (very close to end of Section E)
- Old Fort Point Road where it crosses the Athabasca River (very near Jasper) (end of Section E)
- Sunset Pass Trail at the 8.1 mile mark (8.1 miles to Section E)
- South Boundary Trail: Nigel Creek Trailhead to Brazeau Lake at the 5.0 mile mark and Cataract Pass Trail junction (5 miles to Section E)
- Poboktan Pass Trail at the 3.9 mile mark and Maligne Pass Trail junction (3.9 miles to Section E)
- Wabasso Lake Trail 2.5 miles to Great Divide Trail - Wabasso Lake Alternate Route, then 6 miles on Alternate Route (8.5 miles to Section E)
Run this trail?
We need help with the following missing trail information:
Flora & Fauna, Runner Notes
Is something wrong? Let us know. Have photos to share? Help fellow runners know what's here.