General Greene Tree
ElevationAscent: 81' 25 m
Descent: -43' -13 m
High: 147' 45 m
Low: 94' 29 m
GradeAvg Grade: 4% (2°)
Max Grade: 10% (6°)
Current trail conditions
Popular runs nearby
Run this trail?
Add details to help others plan their adventure.
“A short, slightly off trail run to the largest tree in Congaree National Park.”— Michael Griffin
- Start at the Bates Ferry parking lot
- Continue approximately 800 yards
- You'll see an unmaintained road on the left (there is a trail marker with a “7” on the right side of Bates Ferry Trail)
- Keep running straight until you get to the next marker a few feet ahead (it has an arrow pointing up) Take a right into this unmaintained road
- You'll cross an old metal bridge across a creek
- Soon the unmaintained footpath merges with an unmaintained road from the right, follow this road
- About a minute or two ahead, you'll see a low area on the right of the footpath (signaled by two very large broken off stumps about 12 for high)
- General Greene (bald cypress) is in that low area surrounded by very large cypress knees (up to 7 ft. high).
Land Manager: NPS - Congaree National Park