Birding · River/Creek
Need to Know
Semi-off trail, make sure to follow the same path back out. It is a short trail but very far from any help.
Do not recommend for trail runners.
Directions to the tree as given by the Harry Hampton Visitor Center:
- Start at the Bates Ferry parking lot
- Continue approximately 800 yards
- You'll see an unmaintained road on the left (there is a trail marker with a “7” on the right side of Bates Ferry Trail)
- Keep running straight until you get to the next marker a few feet ahead (it has an arrow pointing up) Take a right into this unmaintained road
- You'll cross an old metal bridge across a creek
- Soon the unmaintained footpath merges with an unmaintained road from the right, follow this road
- About a minute or two ahead, you'll see a low area on the right of the footpath (signaled by two very large broken off stumps about 12 for high)
- General Greene (bald cypress) is in that low area surrounded by very large cypress knees (up to 7 ft. high).
Flora & Fauna
General Greene (Bald Cypress), Swamp Tupelo, Shumard Oak, Pileated Woodpeckers
Shared By: Michael Griffin