General Greene Tree
ElevationAscent: 81' 25 m
Descent: -43' -13 m
High: 147' 45 m
Low: 94' 29 m
GradeAvg Grade: 4% (2°)
Max Grade: 10% (6°)
Current trail conditions
Popular runs nearby
Boardwalk Loop Trail
2.3 mi 3.8 km • Loop • 76 ft Ascent 23.08 m Ascent
Singletrack Gadsden, SC( 22 )
Run this trail?
Add details to help others plan their adventure.
“A short, slightly off trail run to the largest tree in Congaree National Park.”— Michael Griffin
- Start at the Bates Ferry parking lot
- Continue approximately 800 yards
- You'll see an unmaintained road on the left (there is a trail marker with a “7” on the right side of Bates Ferry Trail)
- Keep running straight until you get to the next marker a few feet ahead (it has an arrow pointing up) Take a right into this unmaintained road
- You'll cross an old metal bridge across a creek
- Soon the unmaintained footpath merges with an unmaintained road from the right, follow this road
- About a minute or two ahead, you'll see a low area on the right of the footpath (signaled by two very large broken off stumps about 12 for high)
- General Greene (bald cypress) is in that low area surrounded by very large cypress knees (up to 7 ft. high).
Land Manager: NPS - Congaree National Park