Mountains-to-Sea Trail: Segment 15
ElevationAscent: 656' 200 m
Descent: -685' -209 m
High: 71' 22 m
Low: 0' 0 m
GradeAvg Grade: 0% (0°)
Max Grade: 3% (2°)
Current trail conditions
Navigate on-trail with our free app
“The Onslow Bight and Jacksonville: Holly Shelter Game Land to Stella on the White Oak River.”— Jim Grode
These natural communities provide habitat for rare plants and animals, including several species that are found nowhere else in the world. The pocosins and longleaf pine forests are critical habitat for nesting and foraging red-cockaded woodpeckers, while the delicate barrier islands are essential habitat for sea turtle and water bird nesting. The area is one of the primary conservation priorities for many government and nonprofit agencies.
- Holly Shelter Game Land, where runners will see vast expanses of pocosin recovering from a major peat fire in 2011, as well as savannas of lush grasses and native plants flourishing under towering longleaf pines.
- The Onslow County Environmental Education Center’s “Discover Onslow” exhibit, a great way to learn about the ecology, flora, and fauna of the Onslow Bight
- Stones Creek Game Land, nestled in Camp Lejeune, which provides a scenic walk past lakes and pine woods
- The Lejeune Memorial Gardens, with moving tributes to our nation’s servicemen and women
- Crossing the White Oak River to enter the little community of Stella on the outskirts of the Croatan National Forest
The trails through Holly Shelter and Stones Creek Game Lands are marked with the MST blaze, a 3-inch white circular marker. There are also signs at certain places in Stones Creek Game Land.
Road portions of this segment are marked with blazes and signs. Blazes are on the left shoulder of the road in the direction of travel, and signs are on the right side. Note that signs are often a target of theft and vandalism, and should not be relied upon exclusively for wayfinding.
For more information, including camping, lodging, parking, shuttles, and resupply information, as well as detailed, turn-by-turn directions, download a trail guide from the Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail.
Run this trail?
We need help with the following missing trail information:
Need to Know, Runner Notes
Is something wrong? Let us know. Have photos to share? Help fellow runners know what's here.