Blue Sky Trail Marathon
ElevationAscent: 3,454' 1,053 m
Descent: -3,452' -1,052 m
High: 6,487' 1,977 m
Low: 5,350' 1,631 m
GradeAvg Grade: 5% (3°)
Max Grade: 29% (16°)
Current trail conditions
Popular runs nearby
Greyrock Mountain Loop
7.4 mi 12.0 km • Loop • 2,241 ft Ascent 682.96 m Ascent
Singletrack Bellvue, CO( 44 )
Gem Lake and Balanced Rock
7.5 mi 12.0 km • Out and Back • 1,563 ft Ascent 476.26 m Ascent
Singletrack Estes Park, CO( 12 )
Crystal Lakes Long Loop
32.0 mi 51.5 km • Point to Point • 5,919 ft Ascent 1804.08 m Ascent
Singletrack Estes Park, CO( 1 )
6.3 mi 10.1 km • Out and Back • 1,325 ft Ascent 403.97 m Ascent
Singletrack Estes Park, CO( 21 )
Heil - Picture Rock Combo
20.0 mi 32.2 km • Loop • 2,241 ft Ascent 683.05 m Ascent
Singletrack Lyons, CO( 7 )
Run this trail?
Add details to help others plan their adventure.
“Welcome to the 8th running of the Blue Sky Marathon, Fort Collins”— Tom Robson
Featured Race - Oct 20, 2018
- 5:30am-6:30am: Marathon check-in at the Blue Sky Trailhead. You MUST check in to receive your bib number to be officially entered into the race.
- 6:45am: Marathon pre-race briefing at the Start/Finish line.
- 7:00am: Marathon start!
- 1:30pm: Marathon Awards and Raffle
Much of the course is run on trails that are not easily accessible to spectators.
The best viewing points will be the Start/Finish line at the Blue Sky Trailhead, the Soderberg Trail, and the Hunter Loop turn around.
- For the Start/Finish, park in the marina parking area (see above) and walk over, please DO NOT drive through or park at the Start/Finish.
- To access the Soderberg Trail, continue North on Shoreline drive and make a left into the trailhead parking lot. If the parking lot is full, you may park in the marina parking area and walk north through the campground to the trailhead.
- To access the Hunter loop (turn around), drive to the Devils Backbone parking lot near Loveland. Take Highway 34 West from Loveland and take a right onto Hidden Valley Rd and follow signs to the Devils Backbone parking lot. Follow the trail North up the hill to the junction of the Wild and Hunter loops.
While the entire trail system is open to the public, due to the high volume of traffic on the course we ask that friends and family refrain from hiking or biking further onto the course. Crewing and pacing by foot or by bike is not allowed and will result in the disqualification of your runner.
We will have limited parking at the Blue Sky trailhead for full carpools on a first-come first-serve basis. Parking for all other participants and spectators will be located in the marina parking lot off of Shoreline Drive.
Race participants will not be required to pay the park day use fee.
Post Race Food
Food and beverages will be provided at the post race BBQ from 10am to 3pm at the Blue Sky trailhead finish area.
- 12:30: Marathon runners must reach the Indian Summer South aid station outbound (Mile 15.6)
- 1:30pm: Marathon runners must reach the Indian Summer South aid station inbound (Mile 20.3)
- 4:00pm: Finish Line Cut Off.
Runners may leave a drop bag at the Blue Sky Start/Finish to pick up at mile 9.2. We will have a tarp to set bags out next to the aid table. Pack your gear to stay dry in case we get any rain.
Finish line bags can be left at check-in and will be stored in our gear trailer. These bags will not be accessible until after the race but will remain dry. Please make sure that any clothing that you leave is bagged and labeled with your name so that you can retrieve it at the finish.
The course is 100% dirt and 90% sweet Colorado singletrack. The terrain ranges in difficulty from smooth dirt trail to technical rock gardens. A small portion of the route is on smooth dirt road (no motor vehicle access) and gravel bike path, with the meat of the running done on the beautiful and distinctive red stone hardpack of the Blue Sky Trail.
After the race, kick back and enjoy the always-popular barbeque and generous sponsor giveaways.
Land Manager: City of Fort Collins, Colorado