Dogs No Dogs
River/Creek · Views · Wildflowers
Popular in winter, microspikes useful.
From the Long's Peak Trailhead, start this adventure by taking the East Longs Peak Trail for about 1/2 mile. This initial section is a steep climb through a thick lodgepole pine forest. The Eugenia Mine Trail junction is well marked with a sign showing the right (north) direction to take. Once on the Eugenia Mine Trail itself, the grade eases as the route is essentially a traverse across the Battle Mountain hillside. Keep an eye out for views north of Estes Cone through the trees.
At the high point of this trail, cross the shallow Inn Brook with the aid of wooden logs. Immediately after this crossing is the mine site. You'll see stacked logs that used to be a homestead for Carl Norwell's family. The miner even hauled a piano up here for entertaining. He and his mining partner Dan Slaughter dug a 1000 foot tunnel here in 1905, to extract gold. They worked the mine seasonally for almost 10 years. Look for the yellow mine tailing pile upstream and the tall metal boiler in the creek. The park service sealed the mine shaft for safety reasons.
To reach the end of the Eugenia Mine Trail, continue downhill from the brook towards the northeast. After another 1/3 mile running through the forest, enter a meadow near the Moore Park camp area. The Eugenia Mine Trail ends at the intersection with the Estes Cone Trail
Note- the Longs Peak trailhead parking lot fills early so plan accordingly.
Shared By: Megan W