Birding · Geological Significance · Historical Significance · Views
Need to Know
- Free parking available at the entrance of the visitor center
- No shade and the surroundings can be subject to high winds
No trail running allowed
Maybe the most outstanding castle in this region. This 9th century Cathar castle is fun to explore, multiple sections still being in good shape. The views from the upper dungeon are breathtaking.
More info on their website: peyrepertuse.com/
The loop is a recommendation, multiple itineraries are possible within the castle. The castle has been mostly kept as is – despite some renovation work in the last few years. The terrain is tricky and some climbing sections can be steep.
- You'll start by entering the first level of the castle
- Head West to climb your way up to the upper dungeon. The chapel at the top has the best view
- When descending back, keep right to visit the lower dungeon and its church.
- End the tour with the lower courtyard and its surrounding walls and towers.
Flora & Fauna
Some eagle sights possible
Shared By: Adrien Cadet