Greensboro, NC #OptOutside

Original Post
Magnus Edwards · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 11

Hi folks! I'm nursing the idea of running ten miles or so around the Greensboro watershed lake trails on Black Friday, November 25th. I'm a solo runner (since my old running buddies all got old and fat and gave it up--not necessarily in that order!) and I'm expecting to run on my own and that's cool. But if you're also planning to get out there, I thought it might be fun to at least have a meetup spot where we could say hi and congratulate each other. If you might also be on those trails and want to make a very low key thing of it, I'd love to hear from you.

Nice day today!

Kristen Arendt · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 4,590

Hi Magnus,

Nice - looks like you had a lovely day on the trails! What trails at Greensboro Watershed did you end up running? I was just taking a look at the Trail Run Project map, and wondering if we have the trails mapped already. It would be great to get your photos added to the trails too as this looks like some great singletrack running. Glad you were able to Opt Outside for Black Friday! 

Best,

Kristen

Thanks! I went west-to-east on the Reedy Fork Trail, then east-to-west on the Laurel Bluff Trail and checked in on both of them. (Calf got grumpy so I capped it at 7 miles.) Your coverage of our watershed trails is really good, which is what got me interested in the site and app. So far I've only spotted a couple of little sections that could be added, which weren't part of this run.

Yes, there's a really good mix of terrains on that route, some of it clear and level like in the pictures and others more tricky and technical. I'm still working out what gear to bring and how to carry it, since my phone takes terrible pictures. Those two were still snaps with an old GoPro and I don't have gps locations for them but that's something I want to do more of. A little further down the trail, there was a beautiful blue heron sitting by the lake and reflected in the water, but all I had were wide-angle lenses and it's about four pixels tall in all the pictures. Next time...

Kristen Arendt · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 4,590

You will have to let me know if you come up with a good solution for the best camera to bring and how you recommend carrying it! I get frustrated with having to carry my iPhone when running (having weak runner arms), but inevitably the run that I don't have it will be the run with several photo-worthy moments. Last week I was out for an easy 4-mile loop that I do by my neighborhood, and I saw a bald eagle snacking on what I think used to be a rabbit. He was perched on a low branch, and I was able to get really close to watch him. I wish I had my camera then! 

Anyway, glad you found the site helpful for planning your run. If you are able to start taking some geo-tagged photos on future runs, we would love to see them! 

Jessica Regn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for the post and pictures. We are in the Durham area, so a bit of a trek, but we like learning about trails within a few hours of here in case we want to take a drive for a change of trails. 

Hey Jessica, thanks for the reply. The Greensboro watershed trails aren't especially epic but there's a lot to see, something like 50 miles total. My winter project is to run as many of them as I can and try to collect the whole set Pokémon-style. But there are so many other trails to visit around here that I'd like to see, including a lot down your way. Looks like NC is one of the top 5 states for number of trails in this site's trail guide.

Maybe we can keep some chatter going in this forum. I've been trying to check in pretty often and was surprised that at least 6 days went by, since that's how old your message is and I just now saw it.

I had a nice little 6-miler yesterday, out and back for almost the whole Nat Greene Trail. (I wish there were more loops!) I'm taking it easy on my old legs, but the forecast is for a decent stretch of good running weather. Hope you enjoy!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply