Injured

Original Post
Melissa M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

I'm typically a road, bike path runner but have recently discovered the serenity of trails. Problem is I'm going nuts because on a trail run I fell and gashed my knee open and badly bruised my kneecap. I'm mad that I couldn't finish the run. I'm frustrated because now I can only hobble at best just to get around. I'm hoping someone can lend a sympathetic ear and talk me through this because I hate being idle. I'm also wondering if anyone has had a similar injury and how long it took to heal?

Magnus Edwards · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 11

Hey Melissa. I hadn't checked in here in a while and just saw your post. Sorry to hear about your injury. How's it going? Any improvement in the week since you posted? Are you hobbled more by the cut or the bruise?

I was sidelined for a while last winter when a calf muscle that had been nagging for a while finally went "pop," of all things while climbing the ladder to the attic storage space getting out Christmas decorations. I also hobbled around for a few weeks before I was able to start back doing a few steps of the easiest jogging and then only after a good warm-up walk. Maybe the best advice I can give is not to rush things. You can't get back the time lost to injury, but you sure can lose more time if you get impatient and don't give it the time it needs.

If you're still feeling bad about your situation, check out Adam Campbell's amazing story about recovering from a 200-foot mountain fall and running the Hardrock 100 miler. Or send good thoughts toward Hillary Allen, recovering now from a big fall at the Tromso Skyrace a couple of weeks ago. Stuff heals.

Thank you for your kind words, it's healing and I'm trying to be patient. After things settled I realized I was fortunate it wasn't worse and that I was able to get back to my car on my own. It's still swollen and sore but I'm about 80% there....the stitches being out have helped a bit too as well as getting my kneecap put back in proper alignment.  They called it a severe bone bruise directly on my kneecap which of course affects the underlying joint and soft tissue too. I've bought knee pads now....

I hope your calf has healed and doesn't cause you any further problems. 

I am going to look up the people you mention and I truly do hope they are ok! 

Thanks for the reply, Melissa. Yes, the calf is fine now. I've learned that I'm not the kid I once was and that leaping over rocks and tree roots and up and down hills deserves more respect than I gave it. Right now it's pretty warm and humid where I live, and it's even worse in the woods with the creeks and ponds and swampy ground where the trails are, because that's why the land was available for a trail. So I'm mostly keeping to the roads during the summer, although I walked/jogged a couple of miles on a trail this evening. What's nice about trail running is that I can stop if I need to and become a hiker which is still pretty cool, instead of having to do the walk of shame back home when I crash and burn doing a road run. :-) I'll have to try to ease back into it more gradually this fall when the heat lets up.

I hope those stories I mentioned aren't too gory for your sensibilities. They really are lucky-just-to-be-alive cases. They reminded me that things can get very serious in the outdoors, and that some trail running, which goes by the same name as the puny stuff that I do, is quite epic. Judging by recent news, I'm probably most at risk of catching some dreaded disease from a tick bite. (Only half joking there!)

One other thing that's inspired me lately was a video podcast interview with David and Megan Roche, a runner/coaching couple who have some very well-known trail running clients. It's here, if you have an hour or so to kill:

Beside be super positive and optimistic about everything, I thought they had a lot of good advice about training, and especially that losing a couple of weeks or even a month or two to an injury isn't all that terrible. The main thing is to get well and not have it turn into something much worse.

Of course it can mess things up if you're training for a certain event on a particular day. Is there/was there something specific that you're working toward? I used to run races pretty often but I never won anything and now I just run to run.

No the stories weren't too gory, I used to work in an ER then I worked in surgery for awhile. Then I switched professions to personal training. They are very lucky to be alive. I think here in the woods my biggest risk in ticks as well. I run primarily road but have recently discovered trails but I don't think I could do an ultra on trails lol. I do have a marathon in 4 weeks so this is an inconvenient time for this to happen but it looks like I'll be ok for race day and I've completed most of the training so at this point a week or two won't make or break me. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. I've never won either but I've placed in my age group a couple times. I'm able to do stairs and I'm doing range of motion excercises and it feels tight but no pain today :) or at least right now the swelling is down today too so I'm hopeful....

Yikes, a month just passed! Sorry about that, Melissa. I raised my mileage and also tried to get more sleep and let some things slide. How's the leg? Back to normal? Did you run your marathon yet?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply